Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Book Review

I just finished reading a good book, and thought I'd share it with you.

The First Escape (The Dopple Ganger Chronicles) by G.P. Taylor

3 stars out of 5

A fun, creative approach that mixes standard text, sometimes creatively designed, with giant dripping letters covering the page to create a particular reaction, combined with comic storytelling, drawn in simple, slick color panels that scream movement, which fits the tone of the book. It's a fun, frantic and slightly spooky tale of two trouble making twin girls and a resourceful boy who live at a home for wayward girls (the boy was left there by his father, and now cleans the building). A woman arrives to adopt only one of the girls...and from there on the action becomes extremely frantic and it's difficult for me to explain it without spoiling too much, so I'll simply say that while the tale is enjoyable, and a good start to a series while still being a good stand alone tale, the experimental style of the medium and the overall pace of the book threw me off a bit, hence the mere 3 star rating. I look forward to seeing improvement in later books though.

No comments: